For what are you aiming in 2016? To be aimless is to have no goal, no purpose, no direction. As disciples of Jesus, we are called to the very opposite of aimlessness: “Seek first the kingdom of God and his …Read More »
Tag Archives: love
With marriage and its (re)definition in the headlines nearly everyday, this is a vital question. As of late October 2013, 1-in-5 Americans inhabit a state or jurisdiction wherein same-sex marriage is legal. Hebrews 12:25-13:6 serves as a fitting frame for the consideration of this question.
Foundational Input from Our Creator
See that you do not refuse him who is speaking. For if they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, much less will we escape if we reject him who warns from heaven. At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens.” This phrase, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of things that are shaken—that is, things that have been made—in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain.Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire.
Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body. Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
- Manhood and womanhood was God's idea (Gen 1:27-28).
- God linked his design for manhood and womanhood with marriage (Gen 2:23-24).
- Jesus emphasized the link between creation, manhood and womanhood, and the true nature of a life-long covenant relationship wherein God does the joining together (Matt 19:1-6).
- Paul reveals the deepest meaning of marriage as designed and defined by God (Eph 5:24-33).
Titus 2:3-5 isn’t vague in reference to a God-given responsibility of older women.
Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.Older women are to be influences of truth, wisdom, and experience in the lives of younger women. This is vitally important in a world wherein lies are constantly fed to women of all ages:
- “The most important thing about you is your body's size, shape, and color.”
- “The best way to draw attention to yourself is to flaunt and expose your body.”
- “Your value is determined by where your body lives, the clothes you put on your body, and the luxuries by which your body is indulged.”
- “The first remedy for unhappiness is more: square footage, clothes, and luxuries.”
- “The second remedy for unhappiness is less: weight, responsibility, and expectation.”
- “You are so much more than a body.” (Gen 1:27)
- “Your body has been given to you that you might glorify God.” (1 Cor 6:19-20)
- “To live as if your value depends on stuff is to build your life on sand.” (Luke 12:23)
- “The first key to true joy is MORE… of God.” (Psa 63:1-3)
- “The second key to true joy is LESS… of self.” (Mark 8:34-37)
Benevolence is the desire to do good to others; goodwill; an act of kindness; a charitable gift. What input can we find in God’s revelation concerning benevolence? What does God expect of us as individuals and as a congregation when it comes …Read More »
- eBook Deals of the Day: FREE - The Life and Words of GK Chesterton (Wyatt North); CHEAP - In the Garden with God (Dene Ward) - $2.99 (70% off); Proverbs: Wisdom that Works (Raymond C. Ortlund Jr.) - $3.99 (86% off).
- The Westside church of Christ in Irving, TX has made audio available from their 19th Annual Youth Lectures - At the Cross: Preaching Jesus Christ Crucified.
- The August edition of Pressing On focuses on "The Mission Field Next Door."
- Doy Moyer has started Mind Your Faith and the blogosphere will be the better for it. His first post? No one deserves heaven.
- When you think your love story is boring, Lisa Jo-Baker has a powerful reminder.
- FREE eBook Deal of the Day - Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Marriage Just Isn’t Good Enough (Justin & Trisha Davis) – regularly $14.99.
- CHEAP eBook Deals of the Day - Gods at War: Defeating the Idols that Battle for Your Heart (Kyle Idleman) – $3.99 (73% off); Devotions for the Man in the Mirror: 75 Readings to Cultivate a Deeper Walk with Christ (Patrick Morley) – $1.99; Couples of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study to Draw You Closer to God and Each Other (Robert & Bobbie Wolgemuth) – $3.99 (83% off); Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders (Joel Manby) – $3.99 (80% off).
- Rickie Jenkins takes a look at courage through the lens of the Bible.
- The Washington Post recently reported, "More than six out of 10 women who give birth in their early 20s are unmarried, the Census Bureau said Wednesday in a report that shows sharp discrepancies in single mothers related to income, education and race."
- Gary Henry's Daily Family Bible Study for the week emphasizes that prayer should be an important part of our everyday lives.
- Roger Shouse provides a some encouragement on how to apply Romans 12:21 “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
In The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman suggests that there are five basic ways we express love to others. “Each person has a primary love language that we must learn to speak if we want that person to feel loved.”
- Words of affirmation: this language uses words to affirm other people.
- Acts of service: for these people, actions speak louder than words.
- Receiving gifts: for some people, what makes them feel most loved is to receive a gift.
- Quality time: this language is all about giving the other person your undivided attention.
- Physical touch: to this person, nothing speaks more deeply than appropriate touch.
While each of these "love languages" has their place, God’s revelation to mankind points us to something even greater—the ultimate source, the purest, highest, most profound “love language” of all.
DIE TO SELF.Read More »
FREE eBook Deals of the Day: Unfriend Yourself: Three Days to Detox, Discern, and Decide About Social Media (Kyle Tennant) – regularly $3.99; Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders (Joel Manby) – regularly $19.99. CHEAP eBook Deal of the …Read More »