Our God is I AM WHO I AM.
Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” (Exo 3:13-14)
I AM transcends all limitations of space, time, knowledge, and power.
“Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!” (Rev 4:8)
When human beings have been given even brief and miniscule glimpses of I AM’s glory, it was the most terrifying, awe-inspiring, mind-blowing experience of their lives.
- All the people in the camp of Israel trembled at the foot of Mt. Sinai (Exo 19:16)
- I AM told Moses, “You cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live” (Exo 33:20)
- Isaiah exclaimed, “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King!” (Isa 6:5)
- When Ezekiel saw the likeness of the glory of I AM, he fell on his face (Ezek 1:28)
- When John saw the glorified Son of God, he fell at his feet as though dead (Rev 1:17)
Jesus has made God known in ways that Moses, Isaiah, and Ezekiel could not even fathom.
No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known. (John 1:18)
“Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” (John 8:58)
“Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.” (John 14:9)
Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire. (Heb 12:28-29)