“Victory in Jesus” has been our congregational focus at Laurel Canyon throughout 2015. How does that apply to children? We can draw powerful lessons from Luke 2:52 wherein Luke tells us that “Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man.”
Victorious children increase in stature—they grow up.
- Enjoy being young! (Eccl 11:9)
- Avoid things that can harm your body (Eccl 11:10)
- Realize that you are growing physically so that you can grow spiritually (Eph 4:13)
Victorious children increase in wisdom—they learn about God and his will.
- God is the most important thing in life (Prov 3:5-8)
- The size, shape, and color of your body isn’t the most important thing about you (1 Sam 16:7)
- Some things are right and some things are wrong (Eph 6:1-3)
- God has set boundaries for you because he loves you (Prov 7:1-5; 2 Tim 2:22)
- You’ll never outgrow the need to listen (Prov 1:7-9)
Victorious children increase in favor with man—they learn how to treat other people.
- Be careful about the friends you choose (Prov 1:10)
- Guard your heart (Prov 4:23; Eccl 11:10)
- Treat other people the way you want to be treated (Matt 7:12; Eph 4:32)
- No matter what, remember who you are and set the right example (1 Tim 4:12)
Victorious children increase in favor with God—they develop a relationship with Jesus.
- Our choices have consequences (Eccl 11:9)
- You are here to serve God (Eccl 12:13-14)
- You are loved more than you will ever understand (John 3:16; Rom 5:8; 6:1-4)
- Spend your time on this earth pursuing what matters most (2 Tim 2:22)
This sermon was delivered on November 15, 2015.