To shape is to give definite form, organization, or character to; to fashion, adjust, or adapt.
In the most basic of terms, there are three sources of shaping influence.
- The mindset: “I am willing to be shaped by the philosophies, practices, and priorities of this world.”
- The problem: All that is in the world is not from the Father (1 John 2:15-17).
- The mindset: “What I want, when I want it, in the way that I want it.”
- The problem: Lovers of self cannot be lovers of God (2 Tim 3:1-5).
- The mindset: “Guide me, direct me, lead me, mold me, use me, guard me, help me stand.”
- The blessing: We become a part of his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works (Eph 2:1-10).
By which source of influence will you be most definitively shaped this week?
This sermon was delivered on December 21, 2014.