Where are you in relation to these words? How often could they be used to describe you?
Rest. Rhythm. Reflection. Recreation. Refreshment.
The average American gets 2.5 fewer hours of sleep per night than a century ago. More than 40 million Americans–nearly a third of all working adults–get fewer than 6 hours of sleep per night. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has labeled insufficient sleep a “public health epidemic” with a host of consequences.
But most importantly of all, how would our Creator have us think of rest? This sermon is built on five major points:
- Rest: built into the rhythm of creation
- Rest: modeled by our Lord
- Rest: employed as a figure to teach
- Rest: prescribed by our Creator for our good
- Rest: promised as a present and eternal blessing
This sermon was delivered on May 25, 2014.