To fuel is to provide nourishment, food, or an energy source; to supply, sustain, encourage, or stimulate.
These elements are the basis of the call for Christians in 1 Corinthians 15:58.
Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
What do we need to answer that call? What will sustain us in fulfilling that call? Faith is the fuel.
“Therefore” – the Link Between God’s Revelation and the Fuel of Our Faith
- Rom 6:8-13 – “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body…”
- Rom 12:1-2 – “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God…”
- 1 Cor 10:6-13 – “Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.”
- 1 Cor 15:56-58 – “Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable…”
- 2 Cor 5:10-11 – “Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others.”
- 2 Cor 12:8-10 – “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses…”
- Gal 5:1 – “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore…”
- Eph 4:1 – “I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy…”
- Eph 5:6-17 – “Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”
- Eph 6:10-13 – “Therefore take up the whole armor of God…”
- Phil 2:9-13 – “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now…”
- Phil 3:20-4:1 – “Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for…”
- Col 3:3-6 – “Put the death therefore what is earthly in you…”
- 1 Thes 4:15-18 – “Therefore encourage one another with these words.”
If Faith is Our Fuel…?
How do we get it?
- Hear the words of God (Rom 10:14-17; James 1:19-21)
- Hold the words of God fast in an honest and good heart (Luke 8:8,15).
How do we maintain it?
- Draw nourishment from the words of God (Matt 4:4; Col 2:19).
- Make every effort to supplement your faith (2 Pet 1:5-11).
What do we do with it?
- Stir up one another to love and good works (Heb 10:24-25).
- Do the will of God and accomplish his work (John 4:34; 1 Cor 15:58).
This sermon was delivered on February 23, 2014.