“And so death spread to all men because all sinned…” (Rom 5:12)
This sermon charts the downward descent of mankind from Genesis 3 to Genesis 6:5-6.
The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
“But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD” (Gen 6:8). At a time when the earth was filled with wickedness, “Noah walked with God.” What did Noah do? Why did he do it? And how did God respond? This sermon explores the Genesis account to learn what really happened.
But does it still matter? If so, why? This sermon presents seven reasons:
- Sin continues to wreak havoc on humanity
- Our Creator continues to be grieved by the sin of his image-bearers
- Without faith, it is still impossible to please him
- The threat of God’s wrath is still in effect
- The majority continues to presume on God’s patience
- Judgment is coming
- An “ark” of deliverance is available in Jesus Christ
This sermon was delivered on April 6, 2014.