Have you gotten to the point in life where you realize how dangerous and self-defeating it is to direct your own steps (Jer 10:23)? On my own, I have wandered far from God into the slavery of sin and the fear of judgment. But in Christ Jesus, victory can be found. Growth can be experienced. A vibrant, purposeful, joy-filled walk with God can be reality… if we “set our minds” in the right direction.
Our aim at Laurel Canyon in 2014 is to be God-shaped–as individuals, families, and a congregation. To be God-shaped is to be Father-defined, Christ-centered, and Spirit-led. To be led is to be shown the way; to be influenced or guided in direction, action, or thinking.
If I am Spirit-led:
- I am a child of God (Rom 8:14)
- I am free from the law of sin and death (Rom 8:1-4)
- I must walk according to the Spirit (Rom 8:4)
- I must set my mind on the things of the Spirit (Rom 8:5)
- I will be led in pathways of life and peace (Rom 8:6-8)
- These pathways will lead me away from gratifying the desires of the flesh (Gal 5:16-17)
- I will recognize the authority of Jesus (Gal 5:18; 3:10-14,19-29; Rom 7:4; James 2:12)
- It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me (Gal 2:20; 5:19-21, 24)
- I will bear the fruit of the Spirit (John 15:5; Gal 5:22-23)
- I must resolve to keep in step with the Spirit (Gal 5:25)
- I will passionately dedicate myself to being filled with the Spirit (Eph 5:15-21)
- I will be armed with God-shaped perspective (Eph 6:10,17)
So here’s the question: “Whose voice will hold the most sway in my life?”
- My own heart? (Jer 17:9-10)
- Popular culture? (1 John 2:15-17)
- Another human being? (Matt 15:14)
- My heavenly Father? (Rom 8:12-17,26-27,31-39)
This sermon was delivered on February 9, 2014.