In 2 Corinthians 5, the Spirit of God is using Paul to shape our understanding of life on this earth and after death:
So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. (2 Cor 5:6-8)
This leads to a natural, practical commission for God’s people:
So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him. (2 Cor 5:9)
What a great lens through which to view all the opportunities, responsibilities, and challenges of the day.
- Whether I see Jesus with my physical eyes or not, my aim is to please him.
- Whether I am at home or on the road, my aim is to please him.
- Whether I am around my parents or with a friend from school, my aim is to please him.
- Whether I am in the presence of my spouse or my secretary, my aim is to please him.
- Whether I am in public or completely alone, my aim is to please him.
- Whether I am acknowledged for my good deeds or completely ignored, my aim is to please him.
What’s your aim for the day? Do you have one? Why not resolve right now to please the Lord in any and every circumstance you face today?