Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Pet 5:6-7)
Sounds good. But how? HOW do I go about casting my anxieties on God? The Bible presents us with two options:
- I can carry my own cares and be crushed.
- I can cast my cares on God and enjoy the peace that surpasses all understanding.
This sermon mines the Scriptures in search of a God-breathed approach to dealing with and overcoming the anxieties of life in a broken world.
- Step #1: Remember who the main character is (1 Pet 5:6-7a): God.
- Step #2: “Cast” your anxieties on him (Isa 64:4; 46:3-4; Psa 55:22; Matt 11:28).
- Step #3: Trust that he cares for you (1 Pet 5:7b).
- Step #4: Express your trust in God through prayer (Phil 4:4-7).
- Step #5: Point your concern in the right direction (2 Cor 11:28; Phil 2:20; 1 Cor 12:25; 7:32-33).
This sermon was delivered on January 20, 2013.