American Express made the slogan famous: “Membership has its privileges.”
But what about membership in a local church? Is it just a matter of tradition? Is it a Biblical idea? Does it really matter? If so, what does it look like?
Using the New Testament, this sermon explores membership from three angles:
Membership: What It Means
- Member: a distinct part of a whole (1 Cor 12:12,14,19-20).
- Fellowship: joint participation, partnership, contribution (1 John 1:3-7).
- Submission: following the lead and responding to the care of another (Heb 13:17).
Membership: What It Says
- “I want to belong” (Acts 9:26).
- “I want to participate” (1 Cor 12:21-26).
- “I’m willing to hold others and be held accountable” (1 Cor 12:27).
Membership: Why It Matters
- I need to be a part of something larger than myself (Titus 2:1-10).
- I was created in Christ Jesus for work (Eph 2:10).
- We can do so much more together than alone (Acts 2:42-47).
- I need accountability (Rom 12:9-21).
This sermon was delivered on March 18, 2012.