Of seven things mentioned that our heavenly Father hates, two revolve around lying (Prov 6:16-19). Wisdom prophetically warns, “A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape” (Prov 19:5). Why, then, do we lie?
- Some simply delight in lies (Psa 62:4).
- Some lie because they are afraid (Gen 12:10-13; Mark 14:66-72).
- Some lie to avoid embarrassment (Gen 18:10-15).
- Some lie in order to gain religiously, politically or financially (2 Pet 2:1-3).
We lie in a variety of formats.
- In flat contradictions of the truth (2 Kings 5:20-27).
- By deceitfully withholding part of the truth (Gen 12:10-13).
- By intentionally twisting the words of others (Mark 14:56-58).
- Through underhanded words or motives (Mat 26:47-50).
- In two-faced hypocrisy (Prov 26:18-19; Jer 9:8).
“But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” (Rev 21:8)
Lying is a big deal that deserves our serious attention and heartfelt repentance. “Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another” (Eph 4:25).