- Does Facebook wreck marriages? “Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg changed his status to ‘married’ Saturday and received over one million ‘likes’ from his followers. But the site he founded isn’t always so marriage-friendly.”
- Gary Henry on confession: “Every time we’re faced with the need to make a confession, we find out two things: how much we value truth and how much courage we have.”
- “One of the greatest, most common, and most bloodthirsty contemporary competitions is motherhood.”
- Al Mohler is asked by CNN: “Are Christians hypocritical and selective when it comes to the Bible’s condemnation of homosexuality? With all that the Bible condemns, why the focus on gay sex and same-sex marriage?”
- The Big Picture features photos from around the world of the rare annular eclipse. Or check out this timelapse of 700 still images through a Coronado Solar Max 60 Double Stack telescope.
J. Gresham Machen once wrote of the force of seeing this total solar eclipse:
When I viewed the spectacle of the total eclipse of the sun at New Haven on the twenty-fourth of January 1925, I was confirmed in my theism. Such phenomena make us conscious of the wonderful mechanism of the universe, as we ought to be conscious of it every day; at such moments anything like materialism seems to be but a very pitiful and very unreasonable thing. I am no astronomer, but of one thing I was certain: when the strange, slow-moving shadow was gone, and the world was bathed again in the wholesome light of day, I knew that the sun, despite its vastness, was made for us personal beings and not we for the sun, and that it was made for us personal beings by the living God.