To boast is to speak with exaggeration and excessive pride, especially about oneself. In Jeremiah 9:23-24, the LORD addresses his people with a warning and an encouragement.
- Are you wise? Don’t boast in your wisdom.
- Are you mighty? Don’t boast in your might.
- Are you rich? Don’t boast in your riches.
- Are you looking to boast? If so, boast in this: that you understand and know me.
“I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight, declares the LORD” (Jer 9:23-24).
Regardless of what I do for the rest of my life, I’m not worth boasting about. But the LORD is.
- Who will be the object of your boasting this week?