I recently ran across a similar list of questions that Francis Chan asks himself before every opportunity to teach or preach. Below is my (adapted) list of seven questions.
- Am I more concerned about what people will think of my message or what God thinks? (teach with fear, Acts 5:29)
- Do I genuinely care for these people? (teach with love, 1 Thes 2:7-8)
- Am I faithfully presenting this section of Scripture? (teach with accuracy, 2 Tim 4:2)
- Am I depending on the Holy Spirit’s power or my own cleverness? (teach with boldness, Heb 4:12)
- Have I applied this message to my own life? (teach with integrity, Phil 3:12-14)
- Am I aiming to draw attention to myself or to God? (teach with humility, 1 Cor 3:5-7)
- Do these people need this message? (teach with urgency, Acts 20:18-21)
Can you think of other questions that ought to be asked?