Looking to have a good day? Listen to the wise words of Proverbs 25:11. I especially like The Message paraphrase of the verse — “The right word at the right time is like a custom-made piece of jewelry.”
With that in mind, here’s the challenge for today: can you make a special effort to check each thing you say throughout the day, ensuring that it is the right word at the right time? What kind of a difference could it make on the situations and people around you if you dedicated diligent attention to guarding your tongue by asking some simple questions:
- “Is what I am about to say appropriate?”
- “Does it fit the audience?”
- “Does it fit the situation?”
- “Does it fit the character of the One in whose footsteps I’m walking?”
- “If He were physically sitting right next to me, would these words still be the ‘right’ words?”
Quite the challenge. Can you make it through the day producing only words that have been “fitly spoken”? If not, why not?